W3C officially releases Annotations recommendations
W3C publishes standards (recommendations) for Web Annotations, which makes annotations first-class citizens of the web. This is an important step in making annotations available on the web, cross-applications and cross-platforms. ActiveTexbook comments are mostly inline with the spec, and plan to extend the support for application-independent annotations.
See more info about the spec here: Annotation Architecture
New Features in ActiveTextbook 2.0!
Active Textbook new version is a deep re-work of our original 1.0 platform, and includes deep architectural changes, as well as very significant changes in functionality , encompassing all components. From the user point of view, the most important changes are:
- Complete re-write of the Portal, based on different approach
- Introduction of Digital Rights Management system, including the device control functionality
- Introduction of User groups
- Introduction of multiple sets of overlays, called “Extensions” of books
- Full support for the latest EPUB3.1 functionality
- Support for new OS platforms: Windows classic, Surface; Chromebook and Windows 10 support are coming
- Improved reliability and performance See the list in more details below.
- Full-featured DRM for all devices and Web has been implemented. It includes device tracking, session number limits, expiration control, etc
- The code has been reworked to present a clean API level, independent of the Portal UI. API support is extended to practically fool ATB functionality. Our experience with integration with numerous systems proved it to be reliable, universal and easy to use.
- API is now supporting all functionality, previously available only through the portal, including sorting, search, etc.
- 2.0 introduced the ability to have more than one “Extension”, ie set of overlays, per book.
- In the latest version the owner of the book can grant the permission to add extensions to this book and then distribute them
- UI for the local libraries (my books) has been completely re-written and significantly improved
- Books that have been looked at online become a part of the “my Bookshelf”
- The MATB format for saving, migrating and restoring ATB project has been introduced
- The “Widget” type of overlay functionality has been significantly extended; right now, most of the HTML snippets could be used as “widgets”. Specifically, the “gallery” , the “special query” and some other types were implemented as samples.
- EPUB3 spec support has been extended, and goes beyond the latest Readium code, making ATB the most functionally complete EPUB3 reader.
- In particular, we now support “media overlays” in EPUB3 books;
- We have much better CFI support for EPUB3
- Fixed EPUB3 format is now supported
- Proper pagination is supported for EPUB3 books (you can use either percentage or “standard” page numbers”
- Loans, timed leases are now supported
- Hierarchical Book categories support has been introduced
- Resizable overlay showing/editing windows
- Support sorting by Title, by Owner, by Author
- Filtering options, including per category filters, have been added
Portal has been completely re-designed and re-implemented, making it a modern interactive reading platform - see new portal spec.
With version 2.0, we introduce the Professional Portal version - PRO.ActiveTextbook.com. This portal is designed to support customizable interface, collect necessary statistics and control readers access and interaction. It is also possible to integrate the PRO cloud service with any third party sites using SSO . PRO Portal provides to professional users:
- API-based access to the ActiveTextbook server
- SSO support and OAuth 2.0 interface for connecting to other sites
- Content protection
- Extended support and flexible plans
- Universal applications for phones and tablets have been developed; they adjust automatically to the device.
- The structure of local storage on the devices has been completely reworked, providing much better reliability, smaller size, faster download from the server and faster upload to the application from the local storage
- New platforms have been added:
- Windows “classic” (7.0 and desktop apps on the later Windows versions)
- Windows Surface (so called “tiled” apps)
- Windows 10 Universal app (in development)
- Chrome book (only by request)
- Implemented full synchronization between local library and the server (included)
- Reading UX changed in accordance with other similar iOS apps, e.g. click outside the menu should close the menu, long press should select the word, etc.
- Video support became much more reliable, with the special code for partial download, resume, better codac support
- iOS 9 is supported, and the latest libraries are now used for the iOS and Android apps
“My bookshelf” is introduced to the Web version as well. Any book that has been bought, or downloaded, and every public book that has been read are now in my bookstore
- Downloading mechanism for offline reading on the clients has been completely reworked, making it faster, more reliable.
- Server Admin interface has been completely reworked based on Active Admin framework.
New ATB version as READynamic Plus presented at Frankfurt Book Fair
Datalogics presented the new version of ActiveTextbook under their brand name of READynamic Plus to a packed house at the Frankfurt Book Fair in Frankfurt, Germany this October. Their presentation, in partnership with SONY, presented a reader on the Active Textbook platform that supports SONY DRM for EPUB3. The integration of SONY’s User Rights Management System (URMS) DRM offers the security of a well-known DRM system for eBooks distributed via ActiveTextbook that is a recognized industry standard. We are very excited about where the interest generated by the FBF presentation could lead!
Piron becomes Value Added Reseller for Active Textbook
Evident Point is pleased to announce our partnership with Piron Corp for our flagship product, Active Textbook. Piron is our value-added reseller for Asia and the Middle East. Headquartered in New York, Piron is a leading provider of learning technology solutions. Evident Point and Active Textbook are a natural fit with Piron. Ankur Aggarwal, CEO of Piron Corp., explained that Active Textbook was the only platform he found that met his customers growing needs: supporting interactive digital content, enabling teachers to add additional custom material, supporting both PDF and EPUB based eBooks, and could be readily customized and integrated with various learning management systems.
ATB2.0 SDK a popular solution for textbook aggregators
Active Textbook 2.0 SDK is now available for licensing and is proving popular with textbooks aggregators looking for straightforward end-to-end eBook distribution system that can be customized to meet business and branding needs.
Recent customers have included SoftChalk (SoftChalk Cloud), EdTech Software (esco), NxtPUB (Access LearningTM), Delivros (eBookX) and Copia (Copia Class).
Open eBook App officially launched!
On February 24, 2016 Michelle Obama officially launched the Open eBook app. Specifically targeting youth in need, Open eBooks makes thousands of popular and award-winning titles freely accessible to low-income children and adolescents. It truly is a “library of opportunity.”As Readium experts, Evident Point began working on this project with the New York Public Library last summer. As it is based on Readium, the app allows children and teens to easily access the full text and illustrations of thousands of titles, which were generously contributed by publishers.
For more information please see the press release form New York Public Library: Open eBooks Opens World of Digital Reading to Children http://www.nypl.org/press/press-release/february-24-2016/open-ebooks-opens-world-digital-reading-children
PDF Alchemist at the PDF Technical Conference 2015
One of the main strengths of PDF files is the fixed visual layout. But what do you do when that fixed layout just won’t give you the results you want? Matt Kuznicki of Datalogics answered that question for the attendees of the PDF Technical Conference in San Jose, CA this week. Matt showed how to convert your PDF into HTML using Datalogics PDF Alchemist.
PDF Alchemist is a new SDK that is based on Evident Point’s PDF Unbound technology, and is available for all major platforms.
Evident Point and Datalogics enter into VAR agreement for Active Textbook
Evident Point is pleased to announce our distribution partnership with Datalogics for our flagship product—Active Textbook. Datalogics is the premier source for PDF and eBook technologies, and we have always enjoyed working with them as a technology partner. We are very excited to have this opportunity to bring Active Textbook to new markets.
For more information please see the full press release.
New York Public Library
Evident Point is pleased to work with the New York Public Library on the Open eBooks Initiative. The initiative seeks to make eBooks freely accessible to low-income children and adolescents. Publishers are making thousands of books available through the Open eBooks app, including classics and popular contemporary works. The Open eBooks app and the associated Library Simplified app both are built on Readium.
Datalogics releases PDF Alchemist
PDF Alchemist is a tool for PDF to HTML conversion that is based on Evident Point’s PDF Unbound technology. PDF Alchemist recovers critical text flows that may be lost during the initial conversion of the source document to PDF. The tool is written in C++ and is available as an SDK for all major platforms.
ActiveTextbook SDK Now Available!
Evident Point now has the ActiveTextbook SDK available for licensing. Contact us for more info!
Evident Point at BC Libraries Association Conference
Evident Point and Richmond Public Library co-presented at the BC Libraries Conference this May. The theme for this year’s conference was community. We were proud to present Create [&] Learn as a great example of a community-based publishing platform. Create [&] Learn was a hit with attendees and many stayed late to try out C&L in our workshop.
Young Drivers of Canada
Evident Point developed a custom platform for Young Drivers of Canada to expand and support YD’s Anytime, Anywhere eLearning Driver Training.
New Board Members for Readium Foundation
Evident Point is pleased to welcome the new board members to the Readium Foundation. Readium has grown to include over 60 member organizations from 15 countries in Europe, North America, Asia, and Africa. We are a proud member of the foundation and glad to see it grow to represent publishers, IT companies, telecom/ISPs, and public libraries.
Evident Point is at the Microsoft Global Education Partner Summit in Redmond, WA
"The Microsoft Global Education Partner Summit (GEPS) is an annual event for select education partners to get an in-depth look at new technology, explore business development opportunities and have meaningful connections with Microsoft leaders and other partners. Participants will learn about current and future product and program roadmaps, experience hands-on demos, network with industry leaders, and discuss current trends in education."
RM Education, the largest IT provider for schools in the UK, has released a new version of its learning platform based on ActiveTextbook
EvidentPoint has partnered with RM Books to convert e-books into "Active Books", presented using ActiveTextbook. An example “Active Book” can be seen here. The RM Books project is using "Active Books" to improve literacy and help get students motivated to read. RM Education will make the system available for school textbooks as well.
Evident Point has successfully completed an electronic training and examination platform for the Unified State Examination Centre of the Russian Federation (USE)
Evident Point has provided a custom platform for the USE that allows for standardized training and certification exams for invigilators. Certified invigilators can then administer the Unified State Examinations for high school students and applicants to post-secondary institutions throughout the Russian Federation. More than 10,000 users have already registered and have begun using the platform. The platform can be accessed online here (Russian).
We've moved! Evident Point is continuing to grow, and we've relocated to a new office and doubled our office space to accommodate our team.
Our New Address is:
Evident Point Software Corp.
#130 - 3751 Shell Road, Richmond,
British Columbia, Canada V6X 2W2
Microsoft expands OneNote for iPad with code developed by Evident Point
To go with the successful launch of OneNote for the iPad, Microsoft has released ShareKit support for OneNote, developed by Evident Point. "We are passionate about making it as easy as possible for developers to integrate “capture to OneNote” capability into their apps,” said James Lau, the program manager of OneNote. Microsoft’s announcement can be read here. “We are excited that our code has been released and excited to continue working with the OneNote group on new projects. We are happy to participate actively in the development of Microsoft OneNote, one of the most promising projects at Microsoft” said Yuri Khramov, EvidentPoint’s CEO.
Evident Point creates EPUB 3 Reader for ICBC's Mobile Driving Guide
Evident Point has converted ICBC's driving guide handbook to EPUB 3 format using our own document structure reconstruction software. We have created a fast, interactive, and highly customizable EPUB viewer embedded within the ICBC app. With the help of this high quality EPUB viewer, users can easily browse, take tests, revisit specific parts of a test, and a lot more. Download the ICBC licensing mobile practice knowledge test app here.
The latest version of Readium for Chrome, an open source EPUB 3 reader for which Evident Point is the primary developer, was found in testing by epubtest.org to be the most conformant to the EPUB 3 standard for both required and optional features. Readium for Chrome placed well ahead of the next closest reader in overall EPUB 3 compliance. For more information, please see the Readium press release.
Readium currently has around 250,000 active users.
You can download the application from here.
Evident Point presents PDF Unbound Technology at EDUPUB 2013
Evident Point CTO Dr. Philip Mansfield unveiled Evident Point's latest technology, PDF Unbound, at EDUPUB 2013 conference hosted by IDPF. PDF Unbound converts static textbooks into interactive EPUB learning materials. Philip demonstrated the technology, and discussed how the result can improve learning outcomes and connect learning sources, taking education to the next level.
You can view the slides of Philip's presentation here if you missed it.
Readium gets more than 120,000 Downloads!
Download the Readium reader here.
Readium Foundation Open Meeting to be Held in Frankfurt
Readium.org will hold an open meeting on Tuesday, October 8 in Frankfurt, Germany. The informal agenda will feature a summary of open source projects underway (Readium SDK, Readium.js, Readium LCP and a proposed EPUB preflight and accessibility checker tool), with most of the time dedicated to Q&A and open discussion.
See here for further details.
Catholic International Education Office (OIEC) has started using ActiveTextbook as their publishing platform
Catholic International Education Office (OIEC) is using ActiveTextbook as their main publishing platform for distributing their books. OIEC, an international organization headquartered in Lausanne, Switzerland, delivers learning materials to 210,000 schools and 44 million pupils all over the world.
See their publishing page at tralcom.activetextbook.com.
Film Connection Institute is now using ActiveTextbook for their online courses
The Recording Radio and Film Connection (RRF) provides one on one mentor/apprentice classes in film directing, film producing, screenwriting, editing, and general film production. Using the ActiveTextbook platform allows RRF to embed multimedia into learning materials and assignments, which is an indispensable tool for education in the film and radio fields.
Evident Point welcomes Dr. Philip Mansfield as CTO
Evident Point is pleased to announce that Dr. Philip Mansfield has joined the company in the role of Chief Technology Officer. Philip has played key leadership and technical roles in a number of software projects of global importance related to electronic publishing, including his work at Apple over the past eight years. Philip is a seasoned software executive with more than three decades of research and management experience, and we look forward to adding his expertise, vision and leadership to our team.
ActiveTextbook® Introducing New UI Enhancements and Features
We are excited to introduce new features in the latest version of ActiveTextbook. The Media Library feature can increase productivity and save space and time by allowing users quick access to their media collection for re-use of previously created interactive elements. The Media Library makes selecting existing interactive elements or creating new media items by dragging/dropping files for upload simple and convenient. We are also improving the quality of quizzes in ActiveTextbook by allowing users to add dynamic contents such as pictures, video, and audio clips.
Evident Point is the main developer and the “owner” of the Open Source codebase for the Readium project
Readium Popularity Soars as EPUB 3 Gets More Prominence
Readium is an open source reference system and rendering engine for EPUB 3 publications spearheaded by International Digital Publishing Forum (IDPF). Since the inception of the project in December 2011, Evident Point is the main developer and the “owner” of the Open Source codebase for the project. Readium proved to be a very popular software: as of March, 2013, more than 37000 users installed Readium on their systems.
Evident Point continues to contribute to the project and makes this development one of its top priorities.
New Version of Active Textbook® Just Released!
Furthermore, you are able to look up words using built-in dictionary within Active Textbook® provided by Wordnik. Sign up today or sign in with your Facebook account with just one click away.
Get the most out of your Active Textbook® from now on and enjoy reading more with these new features.